Have you ever wanted to feed your dog pumpkin seeds but couldn’t do it. And this is mainly because you weren’t sure about can dogs eat pumpkin seed or not?
Well, we understand that feeling. Because being a dog parent and not wondering whether your fur baby can eat a certain food or not is impossible.
But here comes music to your ears! Dogs can eat Pumpkin Seeds!
With that being mentioned, let’s know all the benefits, harmful effects, ways to feed pumpkin seeds to dogs, when to see a vet, and many tips and tricks.
Can Dogs Eat Pumpkin Seed?
Firstly, the answer to this question is YES! dogs can eat pumpkin seeds without any worries. And secondly, the shocking fact is that pumpkin seeds prove to be even more beneficial for all age groups of dogs.
So, if you wondering, can a puppy eat pumpkin seeds, the answer in both cases remains the same! Every age group of dogs is eligible for having pumpkin seeds!
But, it is always better to know the details so that, you can be sure of How safe pumpkin seeds are for dogs?
Here you go!
It has been scientifically proven that pumpkin seeds help dogs with certain diseases, infections, and worms. Having said that, it is one of the natural food ingredients with many benefits like:
- It can regulate the blood pressure and blood sugar levels in a dog,
- Reduce the risk of heart diseases
- Improve the heart health of dogs,
- Help your dog to maintain its bone health
- Boosts digestion.
- Supports weight loss.
Furthermore, below is the nutritional value chart of pumpkin seeds to understand their usage better.
Nutritional Value of Pumpkin Seeds
- Protein: 7 grams
- Calories: 126
- Fat: 13 grams
- Fiber: 1.7 grams
- Carbs: 5 grams
- Vitamin K
- Prevent different types of cancer
- Help with bladder health
- Improve sleep
- Reduce inflammation
But does that mean pumpkin seeds have only goodness to offer to dogs? Are Pumpkin Seeds Safe for Dogs and have no side effects at all?
Yes! pumpkin seeds have no side effects whatsoever!
But that does not mean you don’t have to be cautious while feeding them to your dog.
See below to know such crucial details!
Side- Effects of Pumpkin Seeds on Dog
There are no harmful effects of pumpkin seeds on dogs at all. Not really! However, research suggests that they are difficult to break down and hence, can cause upset stomach or take time in digesting. Thus, here are two major tips to prevent the side effects of pumpkin seeds on your dogs:
- It should not be served in raw form
- it should not be served in high quantity.
Having said that, we have mentioned some easy ways to feed pumpkin seeds to the dogs.
So keep reading!
Easy Ways to Feed Pumpkin Seeds to Dog
Knowing the right way of feeding pumpkin seeds to dogs can help you prevent any health concerns. Having said that, you can always consider the following facts:
- feed only roasted pumpkin seeds to your dog. Wondering, Can dogs eat roasted pumpkin seeds? yes! In fact, fresh and raw seeds are quick to digest. Thus you must roast them before feeding them to doggo.
- Moreover, roasting pumpkin seeds extends their shelf life for roughly a month and tastes better.
- Roasted and ground pumpkin seeds are the best options for your dog and you can feed them to your dog without any worries.
- Dogs must only eat plain pumpkin seeds so don’t add salt to them. Adding salt can create a risk of high sodium levels in the body. Therefore, keeping the seeds plain is a must.
- 4. You can always add it to his food bowls to add the extra crunch. There’s absolutely no harm in adding a few seeds to his daily meals.
So, ready to feed pumpkin seeds to your loving pet?
Well, also make sure that store pumpkin seeds properly. Storing them properly is another cautious step you must take. It prevents pumpkin seeds from becoming highly toxic as they spoil. And spoiled seeds aren’t good for dogs’ health.
With that, we are now certain of the right way of feeding pumpkin seeds to dogs, but here comes the major concern, i.e, how much pumpkin seeds should I give my dog?
Valid question, right! Let’s find out!
While you can give a handful of pumpkin seeds to your dog without any exact measure. But still, if you would like to go with the exact quantity, depending upon the weight of your dog, here is the way to figure out:
- You can feed it one-quarter teaspoon per ten pounds of body weight.
- · Also, if you wish to make pumpkin seeds a daily addition to your dog’s food, it is safe . You can add pumpkin seeds once or twice a day to your dog’s regular diet.
However, you should immediately consult a vet in case of reactions. Keep reading to know!
Here are the treatment insights for your dog as it is possible that it might not like or be able to digest pumpkin seeds.
- If your dog reacts negatively towards pumpkin seeds, avoid giving them to your dog.
- if your dog pukes or gets diarrhea after eating pumpkin seeds you must visit a vet to see. i
And now, it’s time for answers to some most common questions that pet owners are often searching for well in advance! below to know it all.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What happens if a dog eats a pumpkin seed?
When a dog eats pumpkin seeds, it gets all the benefits that are mentioned above. You can read them again thoroughly and see what exactly happens when what are the benefits of pumpkin seeds for a dog.
2. Can pumpkin seeds upset a dog’s stomach?
Yes and no. depending upon the quality and quantity of pumpkin seeds you are feeding to your dog; it can upset your dog’s stomach. If pumpkin seeds are fed in proper quantity and proper health measures are taken care of, they will not suffer at all.
But if you are overfeeding pumpkin seeds to your dogs, your seeds are raw, salted, rancid, or too old, they might upset your dog’s stomach!
3. Can dogs eat pumpkin seeds with shells?
Another question that worries dog parents is can dogs eat pumpkin seed shells? And you must know that there’s no harm in giving pumpkin seeds to your dogs with their shells still on them.
While it will be better to remove the shells, that doesn’t mean pumpkin seeds with shells have any bad effect on your dog. They are fit for consumption too.
4. How do I prepare pumpkin seeds for my dog?
The best way of preparing and feeding pumpkin seeds to your dog is by grinding it properly and then adding it to the regular diet of your dog. This will work magic in case your dog doesn’t really like eating seeds.
Also, you can roast them and present pumpkin seeds to your dogs as a bowl of treats. That depends upon your choice and your dog’s liking.
5. Can Pumpkin Seeds Kill Intestinal Worms?
Yes! one of the benefits of pumpkin seeds is killing intestinal worms in dogs as it is good for digestion. And when you are specifically feeding pumpkin seeds to your dog to treat its intestinal worms, consider adding it to his diet twice a day. It will help a lot!
So, now go and start preparing their meals and add the crunch of seeds to them!
Now that you know it’s good for preventing cancer, heart risks, blood sugar, and pressure levels in dogs along with many other nutritional benefits, you should add pumpkin seeds to your dog’s daily diet.
Also, there are other varieties of seeds as well that you should explore like, fennel seeds.