A dog’s digestive system is much more sensitive than that of a human’s. So, here’s the question that your mind must be lingering upon, can dogs eat tortilla chips?
And the probable answer is the answer of NO!
With that being said, you must be wanting to know the real reason for not feeding Tortilla chips to dogs. And the main reason lies in its ingredients that are certainly beneficial for humans but surely not for your dog.
So, let’s dig into the details!
Are Tortilla Chips Bad For Dogs?
Since tortillas have no nutritional value and on the contrary have high carbohydrate content, just like marshmallows that are a sweet but bitter relationship with dogs.
So, tortillas aren’t really the best choice for your pup. Due to high carb content, your pet might gain some extra weight and eventually suffer from diabetes or obesity.
If you want to find out the effects of tortilla chips on your dog’s health, then you have to dig deeper to research the ingredients it is made up of. Further, you will have to gain information about the effects of individual ingredients. Here’s the list of some common ingredients and their side effects.
- Salt: Salt is one of the primary ingredients in tortillas and is poured in high amounts. Too much salt can lead to dehydration in dogs and even sodium ion poisoning. It can also cause toxicity symptoms like vomiting, seizures, tremors, weakness, and coma.
- Corn or wheat flour: Tortillas are made with either corn or wheat flour. While corn is totally safe for dogs and can be used for treats, wheat flour can cause weight gain and allergic reactions.
- Corn kernels: Corn kernels aren’t really unsafe as they have vitamins and minerals which may be beneficial for dogs. But before you serve the tortillas, make sure they are not allergic to corn.
So now the question arises ‘can puppies eat tortilla chips?’, the answer to this is definitely ‘not recommended’.
These snacks have high salt content and can be inimical to your dog’s health. It is better not to risk it and treat them with salt-free snacks for their safety.
Let us help you know more about the side effects that are likely to occur if your dog has eaten tortillas.
Side Effects Of Tortillas For Dogs
If dogs are given tortillas, then they may develop a range of severe symptoms. Browse through the following points to know more!
- Heart disease: Tortillas are filled with salt, carbohydrates, and saturated or unsaturated fatty acids which put stress on heart valves and cause heart diseases.
- Obesity: Since tortillas have calorie content, they can create a surge in weight which might eventually make them suffer from obesity.
- Dehydration or salt poisoning: As we mentioned before, tortillas are high in salt. Hence, treating your dog with high salt content foods can make them dehydrated and even suffer from kidney failure.
- Upset stomach: The tortilla dough contains yeast which can cause bloat in the stomach and then lead to severe gastrointestinal issues, nausea, and vomiting.
- Pancreatitis: Amylase and xylanase enzymes are added to the tortillas to increase their shelf-life. If the pancreas gets inflamed due to the elevated level of these enzymes, then pancreatitis is likely to occur.
Remember that these side effects are likely to occur if you include tortillas as a part of your dog’s everyday diet. You may give them extreme small portions of tortillas once in a while if you feel like it.
But you can always make some homemade tortillas without using any ingredients that might give rise to any allergic reactions. To make the job easier for you, we have enlisted some dog-friendly tortillas that you can serve.
Some Tortillas You Can Offer To Your Dog
Here are some tortillas that your dog can easily take a bite of!
- Corn tortillas can a great option as they are gluten-free and can be a mouth-watering treat if not filled with any spicy fillings or seasoning.
- Baked tortillas can be a rare treat for your dog. Since these are made of beef, chicken, and other dog-friendly ingredients, it is totally safe for your dog to consume.
- Fresh tortillas can be the best option as they are plain and do not contain any toxic ingredients. But always offer them in moderate amounts.
However, it is safer if you keep your dog away from high-salted snacks like chips. If wondering ‘is corn chips bad for dogs?’ or ‘can dogs eat corn chips?
Then you must know that corn chips are not really the best option here. Tortilla chips have high-fat content and don’t even have any nutritional benefits. Try to stick to healthier options.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a dog eat flour tortilla chips?
Do not give more than one or two tortilla chips since they have high-salt content.
2. Can a dog eat salty tortilla chips?
No, salt is hazardous to the health of dogs. It can cause dehydration and other toxic symptoms.
3. What happens if a dog eats a tortilla?
Consuming very small portions might not lead to any serious issues. However, if your dog eats a lot of tortillas regularly, it can cause heart disease, obesity, pancreatitis, etc.
4. Can dogs eat blue corn chips?
The answer is probably no. Blue corn chips might be detrimental to your dog’s health due to their high salt and preservatives content.
5. Can a dog have Tostitos chips?
Dogs shouldn’t consume any chips as they might lead to several ailments. Giving one or two, that too once in a while, is the correct option.
In a nutshell, tortillas aren’t really the healthiest snack as you might have imagined before. They are filled with salt, carbohydrates, and other enzymes that can be hazardous to their health. To cheer up your furry friend, you can make some homemade delicious tortillas and feed them to your pup.
If you notice any of the side effects mentioned previously, make sure to consult the vet right away. Hope you had a productive time reading this article. Good luck!