Fennel seeds are full of vitamins and minerals. And hence, it has huge health benefits. Considering which, who would want to avoid such healthy seeds for their loving pet.
So, if you wonder if dogs can dogs eat fennel seeds or not. It is now pretty evident that dogs can eat fennel seeds without any doubt, just like pumpkin seeds. It offers great health benefits to your dog as a healthy immune system, preventing bad breath, strengthening bones, etc.
With that being mentioned, let us know all about fennel seeds that ensure their potential benefits to your pup.
Fennel Seeds Nutritional Value
YES!! Fennel seeds are extremely healthy for your dogs. Let’s look into its nutritional value and know why fennel is safe for dogs :
In addition, fennel seeds are rich in-
- Vitamin C
You can see that they are extremely beneficial for your dogs. You ask then, are seeds only the edible part of fennel? Surely not!
Fennel seeds are edible in many other forms, like flowers, stalks, leaves, etc. The dried leaves and flowers are used in flavoring while bulbs are in modern meals. They are low in calories while high in nutrition.
Also, you can feed it cooked or raw.
Move forward to know more about fennel and the benefits it brings to your pets. Fennel is a flowering herb species of the carrot family that is healthy for your dogs to eat.
What are the beneficial effects of fennel?
- Fennel is rich in Vitamin A and C. They are antioxidants that help the cardiovascular system.
- The presence of potassium aids heart functioning, muscles, and nerves.
- Fennel soothes the digestive tract and helps spasms and muscle pain at bay.
- The essential minerals help physiological functioning.
- Fennels are aromatic and can be used as breath fresheners.
- Fennel is a good remedy to ease nausea, gastrointestinal spasms, and parasites in your pup’s body systems.
- Even though it is speculation, fennel can improve the vision of your pets.
So, now you know the benefits of feeding fennel to your pets. From this, you can understand that fennel is safe for dogs.
But, are there no disadvantages? Can in certain circumstances the fennel be poisonous to your pets?
Yes, it can become harmful.
Harmful Effects of Fennel Seeds On Dogs
- Fennel leaves and bulbs are hard to digest and can lead to an upset stomach and vomiting.
- The other problem is indigestion.
- Fennel oil is associated with photosensitive dermatitis and pain outburst of eczema.
Besides, there are some important factors to consider before giving fennel seeds to dogs.
Though fennel is indeed a nutritious meal for your dog, there are some limitations to it like:
Precaution To Take
- Avoid feeding fennel to pregnant or lactating dogs. During this, organic fennel is suitable.
- Note if your pet dog is allergic to fennel or not. If it is allergic, the serious symptom is an upset stomach. So, carefully monitor after feeding fennels to dogs
- Avoid fennel oil as it can cause pain for your dogs.
So, these were the precautions you need to keep in mind.
Now, after knowing all the insights of the major concern Is fennel bad for dogs’, we hope, now you would definitely be curious to know all about how to feed fennel to dogs?
Having said that, let’s find out some of the best ways!
Best Ways To Feed Fennel To Dogs
Below are some of the ways you can add fennel to your pup’s daily food.
- Use fennel seed to make light tea and place it in their water bowl.
- You can also sprinkle the seeds with other dog food and give them to eat as a mixture.
- Cooked Fennel
- Raw Fennel
- Chop the bulb of fennel into small pieces while providing cooked fennel to remove the strong flavor as much as possible.
- You can add it as a seasoning with other foods or on top of a dog’s food.
- Raw fennel can be given in a mixture with other dog foods but may be disliked because of the strong aroma.
- To avoid disliking such nutritious food by your pet, it is best if the fennel is cooked and cut into small pieces.
So, ready to give them a delicious bowl of fennel seeds? But wondering, how much fennel can I give my dog?
You see, everything depends on the quantity of consumption that determines the correct intake of health benefits from food.
- Only small doses of fennel are permitted when giving bulbs and leaves as food for dogs.
- Two or three teaspoons of fennel tea in the mixture in the water bowl after consultation for the vet as it is according to your dog’s weight and size.
- Some commercial products in the market have fennels as ingredients with correct ratio proportions, so they are good for consumption.
There are some frequently asked questions which are given below which may help you.
Yes, surely you can feed your dogs fennel seeds. With all the nutrition packed in it, it is extremely healthy for your dear pets.
Yes, why not! Dogs can eat both cooked and raw fennel. The only prerequisite while giving them cooked fennel is that it should be in small pieces, as the pets may dislike it due to the strong flavour.
All parts are edible like the stalk, leaves, flowers, bulbs and seeds. Dogs can eat all these parts but should be in small doses.
Yes, dogs can eat both raw and cooked fennel. You can add them with other dog foods and dogs can eat them in a mixture.
Fennel seeds are indeed healthy as they are low in calories and high in nutrition. Moreover, it can be served well in varieties. But, at the same time, it is essential to feed them right and be cautious beforehand. Hence, to reap good benefits for your dogs, it is best to consult your veterinarian as the intake depends on your dog’s weight and size.
Hope the shared insights in this good read will be helpful and answer all your major questions.